It is a busy and vibrant city that greets you with a comfortable blend of East and West and a mixture of modern life and remnants of a bygone colonial era. Colombo is named from “Kolomtota” (Colombo harbour).
Due to its natural harbour and its position along the East-West sea trade routes, Colombo has been a well known port from 14th century and was used by merchants from China, Persia Greek, Rome & India who followed the silk route to trade for spices. Today due to its strategic location in the Indian Ocean it is the one of the 30 top container ports in the world.
Colombo is a fascinating city, not only for its comfortable blend of East and West, but also for its exciting mixture of the past and the present. It is the Commercial Capital of the country and home to a majority of the Sri Lanka’s corporate offices, restaurants and entertainment venues. It is about 30 odd kilometers from the country's only International Airport.
Places to see and visit :
- Visit the Gangarama Vihara Buddhist Temple
- See the Dehiwala Zoological Gardens
- Golf lovers can play a round of golf at the Royal Colombo Golf Club
- Cinnamon Gardens - Prime residential area
- Wolvendhal Church
- Fort and Pettah
- Viharamahadevi Park
- Town Hall
- BMICH(Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall)
- Go to Mt Lavinia Beach and eat some Seafood
- Hop on to a Colombo City Tour open deck city tour.
- Do Some Last Minute Shopping
- Explore the Colombo National Museum